Please sign by providing your contact information below. We will send this petition with the list of signatories to Congress.
The Senate must act swiftly to pass another COVID relief bill that stimulates the economy. We are standing up for struggling families and ask Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to bring this bill to a vote. We cannot afford to wait another day for the Senate to act. Here are the sad facts from the ongoing crisis:
- The unemployment rate is 11.1 percent.
- States are in significant debt, which will lead to steep cuts.
- More than 137,000 people have lost their lives and 3.7 million have gotten sick from COVID.
- Three out of ten households with children are struggling to put food on the table.
- Before the pandemic, over 30 million children in America relied on school meals. This number is expected to rise astronomically as a result of the ensuing economic crisis.
The Senate urgently needs to include greater supports for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps) and school meals program in the next stimulus package. One of the most effective ways to boost local economies and help put workers back on the job is to increase the amount of money that people receive for basic necessities like food. The facts are clear: Every $1 in federal SNAP spending generates $1.50 in economic activity. School meals also support low-income working families with good nutrition for their kids—for many, this may be the only meals they get that day.
We don’t have time to waste. The Senate must invest more in SNAP and school meals which would provide immediate economic relief and support millions of families to put nutritious food on the table.